The Rumors Are True! Web Based Character Creator to be Released in Two Weeks!
The rumors we were hearing a few weeks ago are true! November 16th is the release day for the new web based character creation utility. Am I really really excited? Well... Silverlight? Really? OK, I know it is compatible with Mac and PC (should be usable with Linux too but I won't be able to test it until the 16th) but did you have to use Silverlight?
I would have thought that HTML4 or 5 with some nice AJAX and Java Script would have been enough. Then there would be no need for an extra download. Not to mention the ability to use the site in some way with mobile devices like Android devices, iPhones or iPads. How great would it be to just use your phone or an iPad at the game table? Well we won't see that anytime soon thanks to Silverlight.
Proprietary plugins... or frankly anything that Microsoft or Adobe makes are going to lock you into very specific platforms. Using open standards like HTML4, HTML5, and Java Script let your content be maleable and allow you to easily move forward to new platforms like all these great mobile devices.
I guess I should just take my new found ability to use the Character Creator on Mac's and Linux and shut up :).
From the Wizards Community Web Site:
Tuesday, November 02, 2010
On November 16, Wizards of the Coast will launch a brand new web-based version of the D&D Insider Character Builder. The current downloadable version will remain functional, but will no longer be available for download or updated with content after the new version goes live. Here are the highlights of the new Character Builder:
- New Design: Completely redesigned from top to bottom in Microsoft Silverlight as a robust character creation wizard.
- No Download: The Character Builder is served from the D&D site
- PC and Mac Compatible: Requires an Internet connection and Silverlight plug-in
- Access is easy: Just enter the D&D site, log in, and launch the Character Builder from the Tool Box or the Character Builder tools page.
- Characters in the Cloud: All characters you create are saved on our database. No need to save Character Builder files on your hard drive anymore.
- File Import: You can easily import your character s created in the previous version to the new Character Builder.
- Previous Data: Includes all character-building data you enjoyed in the previous versions.
- New Data Releases: Dark Sun and D&D Essentials data will debut with the new version.